The long way back into the "New Normal"
We already indicated it in our last newsletter in mid-September that international travel to South Africa is possible again since October 1st. Of course, under the hygiene and distance rules that are common in all places. Entry and exit only via one of the three main airports: OR Tambo in Johannesburg, Cape Town International Airport and King Shaka International Airport in Durban. We recommend a direct flight whenever possible. A large number of countries are still on the "black list". Travel to and from these countries may still be restricted if these countries have high infection rates. A list of countries, based on the latest WHO scientific data is updated every 14 days.
Here is the link to the aforementioned list: COUNTRY LIST ENTRY BAN RSA
Hygiene standards are high on Masodini anyway, we have a lot of space and are always outside.
But here at the lodge we also have forms ready that guests have to fill in on arrival and that we
update every day. You already know that procedure from home.
Helpful link to the South African Government FAQs: SA Government FAQs
Also note: There is still a curfew between midnight and 4 a.m.
Please always inform yourself about the current recommendations of the embassies in your home country.
Using the example of "Entry from Germany", here are the mandatory, tried and tested facts, as well as a few useful tips
- A negative COVID-19 test (PCR test / Polymerase Chain Reaction), not older than 72 hours (before departure), signed by the doctor, in English and printed out. The easiest and fastest way to get it is from Centogene (less than 24 hours a day), there are test centers, for example at the airport in Düsseldorf and Frankfurt. The result is easy to download in English and includes a signature.
- Travel insurance that covers COVID (e.g. SDK insurance - cheap, helpful hotline and fast processing. Upon request, you receive a certificate in English that includes treatments related to Covid-19.
- The COVID Alert app from South Africa must be installed on the mobile phone. Similar to the Corona warn app. Download here: COVID Alert App
- Enough masks to change if you don't want to buy one here
- Round-trip ticket
- Proof of the address of the place of residence in the country - for example our booking confirmation or the booking confirmation of the first accommodation.
All travelers will be screened for symptoms and contact with infected people upon arrival. Proof of the address of the accommodation must be provided in the event that travelers are required to quarantine themselves upon arrival in South Africa (see above).
If symptoms (increased body temperature and flu-like symptoms) occur upon entry or if there has been proven contact with infected people, another COVID-19 test must be done. If this new test is positive, the traveler must be quarantined at a certain location for 10 days. The traveler bears the costs for the test as well as for accommodation at the quarantine location. This is where the compulsory insurance comes into play, which covers the costs of this possibly further COVID-19 test and a possible quarantine in South Africa.
It all sounds more complicated than it really is. We look forward to every single guest.
Everyone who wants to visit us in this beautiful piece of earth is most warmly welcome. Stay curious!